Student Nurse Externships
Transitioning from the classroom to a career can be challenging. You can get a head start on your nursing career by taking advantage of this unique opportunity to explore the rewarding world of pediatric nursing.
The Nursing Student Extern II job application will be posted on the CHKD website (under “Careers”) in November with an application deadline of February 15. All of the documents required must be mailed together in one packet (incomplete or separate packages will not be considered with exception of transcripts and CHKDHS’ online reference assessment):
- Resume – A formal resume listing job experience, student activities, and any honors received.
- Two references – If you are selected to proceed further in our process, an e-mail from our on-line reference company will be sent to you. In addition, if you wish to submit written letter of recommendations, please do so in whatever format you and your reference prefer. We ask that you include at least one nursing clinical instructor reference.
- Official transcript – Please arrange for your school to prepare and send you a copy of your official transcript. This will serve to verify that you are a nursing student in good standing and that you are making satisfactory progress toward graduation.
- Nursing course summary form – Because we know that transcripts may contain little detail about the courses taken, we ask you to complete our nursing course summary form. List and briefly describe the nursing courses you will have completed by May.
- Statement of student objectives – We would like to know what you hope to gain from your participation in this program. This information will help us assure a good fit between what we can provide and the expectations of the participants. Your statement can be very brief, and can be included in a common cover letter to your resume.
Except for the on-line application, which goes directly to the CHKD recruiter, all of these five documents must be mailed together in one packet. Your transcripts should be sealed and tamper-free.