Student Nurse Externships
Transitioning from the classroom to a career can be challenging. You can get a head start on your nursing career by taking advantage of this unique opportunity to explore the rewarding world of pediatric nursing.
The Nursing Student Extern II job application will be posted on the CHKD website (under “Careers”) in November with an application deadline of February 15. Following submission of the online application, applicants will receive an email notification from the nurse program coordinator and additional instructions regarding the application packet will be discussed at that time.
Steps to Apply:
- Submit an online application at the Student Nurse Extern job posting on CHKD.org/Careers.
- Await email from student nurse extern program coordinator.
- Follow steps to complete the remaining application packet before the deadline of February 15th.
- Submit application packet.
- If you are selected to proceed further, an onsite or virtual interview will be scheduled.
Application Packet Content
- Resume – A formal resume listing job experience, student activities, and any honors received.
- Two references – Two letters of recommendation from school faculty, one of which will need to be a clinical nursing instructor.
- Official transcript – Please arrange for your school to prepare and send you a copy of your official transcript. Transcripts can either be mailed or sent electronically, but must be sealed and tamper free. This will serve to verify that you are a nursing student in good standing and that you are making satisfactory progress toward graduation.
- Nursing course summary form – Because we know that transcripts may contain little detail about the courses taken, we ask you to complete our nursing course summary form. List and briefly describe the nursing courses you will have completed by May.
- Statement of student objectives – We would like to know what you hope to gain from your participation in this program. This information will help us assure a good fit between what we can provide and the expectations of the participants. Your statement can be very brief, and can be included in a common cover letter to your resume.