Division Medical Director, GAP
- Norfolk, VA
- Children's Pavilion
- CMG Primary Care 617
- Full -time - Days
The Division Director for General Academic Pediatrics (GAP) in the Department of Pediatrics at the Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS) and Children’s Hospital of The King’s Daughters (CHKD) in Norfolk, VA, is an exciting opportunity for a candidate to recruit and retain faculty in a thriving and dynamic institution, the only freestanding children’s hospital in Virginia.
This position will also serve as the Vice-Chair of Primary Care and report directly to the Chair of Pediatrics for these relevant functions. The candidate should be at the level of an Associate Professor or Professor or have credentials that would allow promotion to this level of academic rank. The position will provide administrative and financial leadership in collaboration with a hospital administrative management team that includes a GAP practice manager and director representing Children’s Medical Group (CMG), representing the hospital's network of over 30 general practices. The Division Director will report to the Vice-President of Physician Practice Management of CHKD and be part of our clinically integrated network, Fortify Children’s Health (FCH). GAP currently sees over 21,000 outpatient visits per year and is located on the first floor of the main hospital. We will expand over 30% in size in our hospital facility this spring. Our new 14 story and 60-bed mental health inpatient/outpatient facility will be providing both a comprehensive offering of mental health as well as ambulatory medical services in April of 2022. The GAP practice is the primary academic pediatric site with eight general pediatric physicians for 76 pediatric residents and over 150 medical students at EVMS. The Division Director will help implement the division and department's educational, research/academic, and clinical service missions.
This is a faculty position offering an academic appointment at the Eastern Virginia Medical School, rank to be commensurate with experience. EVMS and CHKD are Equal Opportunity Employers. We are committed to increasing the diversity of our faculty and staff and fostering their success when hired. Members of underrepresented groups are welcome and strongly encouraged to apply.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The specific areas of expertise with the associated roles, qualifications, and responsibilities of this position include the following:
• Create a positive work environment for the division.
• Serve as a role model for effective communication.
• Establish an environment that encourages communication at all levels within the division.
• Establish a system for transmitting information in a timely manner to all faculty and staff.
• Identify opportunities for growth of the division's clinical, research, and educational programs.
• Develop division-specific research, educational, and clinical missions and monitor the division's progress in achieving these missions.
• Develop programs that connect the division's faculty and residents to community health-related services and medical homes.
• Be sensitive and supportive to diversity, equity and inclusion.
• Recruit faculty and staff to fulfill the division's mission and responsibilities.
• Develop a strategy to retain and develop the academic skills of existing faculty.
• Develop an individual faculty development plan for each faculty member of the division that outlines goals and expectations (clinical, research, and education).
• Conduct an annual performance review with each di¬vision faculty member, including written feedback regarding expectations/goals from the individual faculty development plan.
• Understand the specifics and subtleties of the promotion process of the institution to be able to counsel junior faculty through the intricacies of promotion.
• Identify appropriate mentors for junior faculty in the division in the areas of research, education, and clinical function of the division/department.
• Monitor the academic progress of divisional faculty.
• Provide financial management in collaboration with CMG leadership.
• Monitor the financial status of the division on an ongoing basis and develop corrective action plans to address deficit situations with administrative management team.
• Evaluate and establish clinical productivity standards for all clinical faculty and staff in the division.
• Compare division and faculty productivity to appropriate benchmarks and formulate plans to maximize clinical productivity as appropriate.
• Ensure divisional faculty compliance with clinical practice billing and documentation rules and regulations.
• Submit to the chair an annual report on the division. This report should summarize the division activities in the area of research, education, and patient care, as well as notable awards and accomplishments of divisional faculty and staff.
• Conduct regular meetings with division personnel.
• Participate (and/or provide a designee to participate) in healthcare system, hospital, medical school, or department committees as requested or appropriate (Fortify Children’s Health-FCH/CMG/Children’s Health Network-CHN/ Sentara Quality Care Network-SQCN).
• Participate or lead in quality assurance and performance improvement activities for the division, department, and hospital.
• Oversee the delivery of clinical care provided throughout the division and ensure that the quality of care delivered meets accepted standards.
• Ensure that patient access for the division is optimal.
• Ensure the maintenance of on-call and ambulatory schedules is fair and balanced.
• Ensure that the divisional faculty and staff maintain positive working relationships and contact with referring physicians.
• Ensure compliance with appropriate medical record documentation and timely and accurate submission of charges for clinical services by all faculty.
• Ensure compliance with all internal policies and procedures promulgated by the department, hospital, and external regulatory agencies.
• Coordinate at least one annual grand rounds for the division.
• Participate when requested by the chief residents in departmental teaching conferences for residents and medical students.
• Ensure that division faculty are similarly responsive to these requests.
• Regularly attend weekly grand rounds and departmental conferences (expectation is attendance at a minimum of 50% of these conferences).
• Participate in resident and medical student education and ensure divisional faculty participation and compliance with Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education and Liaison Committee on Medical Education training requirements, to ensure successful program continuation.
• Oversee the current primary care track that is embedded in the current curriculum
• Provide leadership and mentorship for Academic meetings at both the Regional and National level.
• Develop a creative divisional research plan integrating when possible clinical, translational, basic science and health services research opportunities.
• Recruit faculty whose talents and research interests are consistent with the overall divisional/departmental research program.
• Encourage cross-divisional and departmental research and training collaborations.
• Maximize utilization of departmental research resources.
• Monitor progress of divisional investigators.
• Develop a plan to deal with gaps in research funding for investigators, as well as a plan for shortfalls in research funding for funded investigators when applicable.
• Regularly attend departmental divisional director and faculty meetings.
• Communicate appropriate information from the department, medical school, CMG meetings, Fortify Children’s Health Clinically Integrated Network, and hospital to division personnel in a timely and regular manner.
• Interact with and respond to requests from administrative departments (e.g., marketing, finance) in a timely manner.
• Advocate for staff and patients of the division.
• Address complaints regarding the division with Professional Staff, Administrative Team, and/or the Department Chair.
• Other duties as may be required for the division through either Children’s Medical Group, CHKD or department chair.
LICENSES AND/OR CERTIFICATIONS
Board certification required (Pediatric Specialty).
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
• Doctor of Medicine (MD) required.
• Academic rank of Associate or Full Professor, or credentials that would allow promotion to this level.
Nominations and Applications (cover letter and curriculum vitae) should be submitted by e-mail to: Melinda.Boltz@CHKD.org
All materials will be treated as confidential.